The Baltimore City Public Schools Construction and Revitalization Act of 2013 passed in the final days of the legislative session. It authorizes the City of Baltimore, Baltimore City Board of School Commissioners, Interagency Committee on School Construction, and MSA to collaborate on the Plan. The Act authorizes MSA to leverage $60 million dollars into bond money to support an estimated 26-28 school renovation and replacement projects. Construction has begun, and the program is on schedule to be substantially completed by 2021.
The Memorandum of Understanding, approved by the Maryland Board of Public Works October 16, 2013, outlines each party's roles and responsibilities in the multi-faceted project.
Through the collective efforts of Baltimore City Public Schools, the Maryland Stadium Authority, the City of Baltimore, and Maryland’s Interagency Committee on School Construction, the mission of the 21st Century School Buildings Plan is to:
- Build future-focused, adaptable, sustainable and high-quality schools that inspire learning and support the educational success of Baltimore City Public Schools students
- Design schools that allow for recreational opportunities for the community, combined with other cooperative uses and school partnership programs
- Manage the costs of school facility operations by closing under-utilized schools, opening new award-winning education programs and implementing improved facilities maintenance operations
- Execute a cost-effective and timely school design and construction program, integrating local hiring and student-based learning opportunities
- Be good stewards of Maryland taxpayer dollars and champions for education, economic development and neighborhood revitalization in the City of Baltimore
To read more about the 21st Century Schools program, visit their website
MSA Program Co-Executives:
Gary McGuigan, Executive Vice President, Capital Projects Development Group
Eric Johnson, Senior Vice President, Capital Projects Development Group
MSA Program Director:
Larry Flynn, Assistant Vice President, Project Management, Capital Projects Development Group