Ocean City, Maryland, Unveils 45,000 Square-Foot Expansion to Roland E. Powell Convention Center

Date

The Town of Ocean City held a ribbon-cutting ceremony for the third and final phase of additions and upgrades to the Roland E. Powell Convention Center

OCEAN CITY, Md. – Ocean City officials today joined representatives from the State of Maryland for an official ribbon cutting ceremony at the Roland E. Powell Convention Center. The ceremony was followed by a tour of the additional multipurpose Exhibit Hall to celebrate the expansion. Designed by local architect Becker Morgan, the project includes the addition of a 30,000 square-foot multi-purpose exhibit hall, a new 15,000 square-foot bayside gallery, a business center, and additional support spaces.

Maryland Governor Larry Hogan spoke at the ceremony. "Today is the culmination of 25 years of effort to get to where we
are today as we expand the Roland E. Powell Convention Center and make Ocean City even more of a destination spot and
bring more people into the town," said Hogan.

Ocean City Mayor Rick Meehan welcomed the completion of the facility’s upgrades and additions. Meehan spoke on the history of the convention center's expansion and about former Mayor Roland E. “Fish” Powell's contributions to the project. "He continued to press upon us that the convention center business was the backbone of our tourism industry and that it was essential that we move forward with expansion,” said Meehan.

Ocean City Council members, Eastern Shore Delegation members and Maryland Stadium Authority representatives were
also in attendance. The Maryland Stadium Authority, Ocean City’s partner in the Convention Center for over 25 years,
oversaw the construction.

“The Maryland Stadium Authority values our successful partnership with the Town of Ocean City and was pleased to
partner once again on a project that provides enjoyment and enrichment for Marylanders and visitors,” said Thomas Kelso,
the Stadium Authority’s Chairman.


Phases one and two of the project consisted of the new bayside ballroom, dockside exhibit hall, and the Performing Arts
Center. The new, 30,000 square-foot exhibit hall connects to existing main exhibit halls A and B with a movable partition.
This will allow the center to host a single large event, or up to three simultaneous smaller events. A new technology and
audio-visual package features enhanced sound systems, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. Additional upgrades include the HVAC and life
safety systems.

The State of Maryland contributed 60% of the funding for the project, which cost $37.5 million. The remaining 40% was
funded by the Town of Ocean City through the existing prepared food and beverage tax. The addition is expected to
generate up to 30 new events for the convention center and support over 500 jobs. This project broke ground on April 22,
2020, and was completed in January 2022.

Ribbon-cutting photo/video assets available here: https://www.filemail.com/d/kceuwildlkbjvmg

Ocean City, Maryland, Unveils 45,000 Square-Foot Expansion to Roland E. Powell Convention Center 

###

Press Release Category
rachelina
Tue, 02/22/2022 - 02:22 pm

Next MSA Board of Directors Meeting

Tuesday, September 6, 12:00p.m.
The Warehouse at Camden Yards
Executive Conference Room
333 W. Camden St., Suite 500
Baltimore, MD  21201

Maryland Department of Health
Coronavirus Disease 2019
(COVID-19) Information

Maryland State Governor

Human Trafficking
GET HELP
National Human Trafficking Hotline -- 24/7 Confidential

1-888-373-7888 Text: 233733
For more information on human trafficking in Maryland click here.