What: State, city and community leaders will gather with Baltimore City Public Schools students and representatives to celebrate a ribbon cutting for the newest building in the 21st Century School Buildings Program.
The event will take place inside the new Northwood Elementary School building. In accordance with City of Baltimore COVID-19 regulations, access will be restricted to invited attendees. The event will be livestreamed on City Schools’ Facebook page and YouTube, include photos of the interior spaces, and be available on-demand.
When: Tuesday, December 7, 2021, 1:45 p.m.
Where: Northwood Elementary School, 5201 Loch Raven Blvd, Baltimore, MD 21239
Event will also be livestreamed via City Schools’ social media platforms.
Who: Scheduled to speak: Maggie McIntosh, State Delegate, District 43; Brandon Scott, Mayor, City of Baltimore;
Thomas Kelso, Chairman, Maryland Stadium Authority; Jamie Bridges, Planning Manager, Maryland Interagency
Commission on School Construction; Johnette Richardson, Chair,Baltimore City Board of School Commissioners;
Dr. Sonja Santelises, CEO Baltimore City Public Schools; Erita Adams, Northwood Principal; and Saniyah
Wallace, Northwood Elementary School Student.
Building Modernization Facts
Northwood is Wi-Fi enabled, expected to receive LEED Silver certification, and includes the below environmental, technological and learning features.
- Designs that maximize daylight into instructional areas and provide clear sightlines of adjacent spaces.
- Flexible, collaborative learning areas/unassigned instructional spaces with movable furniture and instructional screens for alternate instructional environments or breakout spaces to adapt classrooms as needed.
- Interactive Visual Displays – These displays have an input station located beside the teacher’s desk that allow for various inputs including computer, HDMI capabilities, USB devices, etc.
- Sound Enhancement System – The system includes a wearable microphone for instructors as well as a handheld microphone for students and guests. This system also can be integrated with hearing impaired devices.
- A cafetorium that serves as a multi-purpose space for dining, events and school productions, with a dedicated audio/visual system and a performance stage with theatrical stage lighting.
- LED light fixtures throughout the building.
21st Century School Buildings Program Background
The 21st Century School Buildings Program creates inspiring educational environments for Baltimore City’s public school students and recreational facilities for communities for generations to come. The program is a partnership between the Maryland Stadium Authority (MSA), Baltimore City Public Schools, the City of Baltimore, and the Interagency Commission on Public School Construction (IAC). In addition to Northwood Elementary School, 23 other school buildings have been renovated, expanded and/or replaced in recent years: Fort Worthington Elementary/Middle School, Frederick Elementary School, Wildwood Elementary/Middle School, Dorothy I. Height Elementary School, Arundel Elementary, Arlington Elementary School, The Historic Cherry Hill Elementary/Middle School, Forest Park High School, Pimlico Elementary/Middle School, the Academy for College and Career Exploration and Independence School (in the Robert Poole Building), the Lake Clifton Park Building, John Ruhrah Elementary/Middle School, Calvin M. Rodwell Elementary/Middle School, and Bay-Brook Elementary/Middle School, Mary E. Rodman Elementary School, Walter P. Carter Elementary/Middle School, Lois T. Murray (in the Walter P. Carter Building), Medfield Heights Elementary School, Billie Holiday Elementary School, Katherine Johnson Global Academy, Robert W. Coleman Elementary School, Govans Elementary School, Patterson High School, Claremont Middle/High School (in the Patterson Building).
For more information, visit www.baltimore21stcenturyschools.org
Next MSA Board of Directors Meeting
Tuesday, October 3, 2023, 12:00 p.m.
The Warehouse at Camden Yards
Executive Conference Room
333 W. Camden St., Suite 500
Baltimore, MD 21201
Agenda / Live Stream
Warehouse at Camden Yards
National Human Trafficking Hotline -- 24/7 Confidential
|1-888-373-7888 | Text: 233733|