ASSISTANT PROJECT MANAGER
(Schools Construction Program)
- Job Number: APM122017
Hiring Range: $60,000+ depending upon qualifications (State salary rules may apply for promotions and transferees)
Status: Full-time, Regular, Benefitted, Exempt
- Location: Camden Yards Sports Complex, Baltimore City, Maryland
- Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Nature of Work:
Responsible for assisting in the coordination, implementation, execution, control and completion of schools construction projects ensuring consistency with agency strategy, commitments and goals. Aids in the planning, execution, and finalization of projects according to strict deadlines and within budget, which includes acquiring resources and assessing quality control throughout project completion.
Examples of Work:
(The duties listed below are intended as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements or duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position).
- Provides administrative assistance on assigned projects.
- Assists Project Executive, Project Director, and Project Manager as assigned.
- Provides monthly reports on the status of current projects.
- Conducts bid openings in accordance with procurement regulations.
- Reports on budget, schedule, and quality control parameters as established by the Project Executive, Project Director, and/or Project Manager.
- Processes all construction contracts.
- Processes all construction change orders.
- Processes all purchase orders.
- Maintains logs on change orders, purchase orders, and payments.
- Reviews and recommends all payment applications.
- Creates and maintains project schedules
- Attends on-site progress meetings.
- Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Key Competencies:
- Knowledge of project management software.
- Ability to adjust to shifting priorities, demands, and timelines through analytical and problem solving capabilities.
- Ability to work in a collaborative team-oriented environment.
- Skill in eliciting information and cooperation from clients, contractors, and other stakeholders.
- Ability to learn, understand, and apply new technologies.
- Ability to perform efficiently in high-pressure and politically sensitive environments.
- Knowledge of project budget management.
- Ability to express self clearly and concisely, orally and in writing.
- Knowledge of the principles, techniques and practices of construction over various aspects of design and construction phases.
- Considerable knowledge of administrative principles and practices.
- Key competencies: critical thinking and problem solving skills, adaptability, decision-making, communication skills, teamwork, planning and organizing, stress tolerance, conflict resolution.
Working Environment and Physical Demands:
(The conditions herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions).
- Environment—Work may be performed in a standard office setting with frequent travel to worksite locations to perform project management. Employee may be required to be present indoors or outdoors in areas of extreme heat or cold. The noise level of the work environment is usually moderate but may be occasionally loud due to alarms, equipment, noise, etc. Employee may be required to work extended hours including evenings and weekends.
- Physical —Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in an office setting; to walk, stand, or sit for prolonged periods of time; to operate office equipment requiring repetitive hand movement and fine coordination including the use of computer keyboards; to operate a vehicle to travel to various locations; and to verbally communicate to exchange information.
- The Assistant Project Manager is expected to operate under administrative review in all areas of responsibilities to reflect the mission of the agency. The Assistant Project Manager must be able to function professionally in the assigned project areas. The Assistant Project Manager will recommend changes in resources allocation as the needs and interests of the project warrant. The Assistant Project Manager also is expected to comply with changes in overall policies and guidelines as appropriate.
(Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the knowledge, skills, abilities, and key competencies is qualifying):
Specific educational and experience requirements are set by this agency based on the essential job functions assigned to the position. Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the knowledge, skills, abilities, and key competencies necessary to the management and operation of a major construction/renovation project is qualifying.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license.
- Preferred Qualifications:
B.S. in Engineering preferred or a combination of education and experience equivalent to five (5) years of performing administrative functions in a construction project management environment.
Next MSA Board of Directors Meeting
Tuesday, December 5th 3:00 PM
Warehouse at Camden Yards
333 W. Camden St., Suite 500
Baltimore, MD 21201
Meeting notice current as of 11/21/2017